Dear Families –
We love having your students in Heart Math Tutoring! It is very important that students are working with numbers and reading outside of school. Here are some tips.
Talk About Math –
Ask questions and talk about numbers in everyday situations! (Leer una carta en español aquí.)
- Telling Time: “How much longer until the party?” “How long have we been waiting in the dentist’s office?”
- Money and Shopping: “How much money will I need to buy two pizzas?”
- Counting and Chores: “We need five forks on the table.” “Bring me three pairs of socks.”
- Measurement: “Who is taller?” “I need 3 cups of flour for this recipe. Please measure it for me.”
- Food: Items like M&M’s, crackers, and Cheerios are great to use to practice patterns, adding, and subtracting.
- Items around the House: Read the names and numbers on boxes of food and cans at home.
Active Reading –
- Ask Questions
- Build Vocabulary
- Connect to your child’s world
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library –
All CMS students have a library card and can check out as many books as they want FOR FREE! (Haz clic aquí para leer en español.)
- Use your student’s CMS ID number to check out books.
- Use this map to pick from 21 library locations. Find a library branch close to you.
Math Card Games –
A deck of cards is all you need to practice a wide range of math skills using these fun games.
- War for More/Less – answer with complete sentences!
- Finding Combinations Card Game
- Race to the Sum/Difference/Product
- Click here for the game directions in English and Spanish!
Stay in Touch!
- Sign up for Read Charlotte’s text service for FREE text messages with FUN FACTS and EASY TIPS: text “READCLT” to 70138
- Registrese con Read Charlotte’s Ready4k por mensajes de texto GRATIS con INFORMACION y CONSEJOS simples: mande el texto “READCLT” al numero 70138.
- Follow Heart’s Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter accounts and Heart’s Latest News page!
We also invite family members to be tutors! In one hour per week, you can help a student catch up. Heart gives the curriculum and tools that you need. Sign up here.
We are excited for a great year!
– Heart Math Tutoring