Congratulations Heart Students and Tutors! 98% Meet Growth Goals
June 29, 2018
As summer begins, we celebrate what was accomplished in the 2017/18 school year by hundreds of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) students who were part of Heart Math Tutoring.
- 98% of 893 Heart students met program growth goals in math, growing in two or more building block concept areas.
- On average, students doubled the goal – growing in 4.9 concept areas. The goals were set with guidance from math specialists at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and UNC Charlotte.
- Students grew from mastering 26% to 59% of the skills needed based on grade-level standards, cutting the skills gap in half.
- 89% of surveyed teachers believe students showed increased confidence/enthusiasm in math as a result of Heart.
- 90% of surveyed teachers observed growth in foundational math skills for students enrolled in Heart, and 81% believed Heart had a positive effect on classwork, class tests, or standardized tests.
- 62% of surveyed teachers said students became more confident and enthusiastic in subjects other than math as a result of the program.
- 100% of 599 surveyed Heart volunteers rated their experience as positive, and 98% would recommend the program to friends or colleagues.
“We are extremely proud of our students for building skills and confidence they need to be successful,” says Emily Elliott, Executive Director of Heart Math Tutoring. “We are thankful for the commitment of Heart donors, volunteers, school partners, and supporters for making these results possible. The skills that students gain through Heart are proven to be critical building blocks for success in math, helping students progress into higher levels of math, meet graduation requirements, and access post-secondary and career opportunities.”
- Blog (164)
- Celebrations (37)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (12)
- Events (10)
- Grants (20)
- Grants and Funding News (26)
- Heart News (135)
- Heart Staff (4)
- Math Matters (37)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (39)
- Uncategorized (3)
- Video (12)
- Volunteer Resources (28)
- Volunteer Spotlight (30)
- Charlotte Parent Magazine Feature: Register to Tutor CMS Students Through Heart Math Tutoring Starting Sept. 30
- Join Us for Our Volunteer Kickoff Party!
- WCCB Rising Features a Heart Math Tutor
- An Interview with a Volunteer: Adam Schauer
- 2019 Math Perspectives Summer Institute: A New Resource Series!
- ‘What Is Heart Tutoring?’ Webinar
- Learn More via Webinars and Events!
- Recruitment Season Tips
- It All Adds Up: End of the Year Results are IN!
- The Tutor Referral Contest – June 1-30