Heart Expands Program To Sedgefield And Piney Grove Elementary Schools
May 18, 2015
Thanks to the good work of our volunteers and the willingness of more Charlotte community members to become volunteer tutors, Heart Math Tutoring will partner with two additional schools in 2015-16 to ensure that all students develop the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success!
Sedgefield Elementary and Piney Grove Elementary will join Heart’s five Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools partners in welcoming 50-70 weekly volunteers to work one-on-one with students in grades 1-5 who are performing below grade level in math. Heart’s existing school partners are Billingsville Leadership Academy, Highland Renaissance Academy, Montclaire Elementary, Westerly Hills Academy, and Winterfield Elementary.
Volunteer tutors provide academic support using a structured curriculum and build valuable relationships with students over the course of the school year. Many tutors come before work or at lunchtime to spend 30 minutes to an hour with their elementary-aged mentees. To date, 98% of students have met program growth goals in math.
Sedgefield and Piney Grove were chosen among more than 10 applications based on factors including school leadership, community partnerships, and location. An eighth school for 2015-16 is yet to be named and will depend on funding availability as of June 2015. Heart places a Program Coordinator and tutoring materials at each school. The program was designed to be replicated, and Heart plans to provide tutoring to additional schools that applied within the next two years.
Thank you to our tutors, our school partners, and our funders for making this math intervention available to some of our most valuable citizens – our children in need!
- Sign up to volunteer at Sedgefield, Piney Grove, or any of our existing schools.
- Make a donation to help Heart reach an eighth school next year.
- Blog (194)
- Celebrations (39)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (16)
- Events (15)
- Grants (21)
- Grants and Funding News (28)
- Heart News (151)
- Heart Staff (8)
- Math Matters (41)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (45)
- Uncategorized (26)
- Video (15)
- Volunteer Resources (34)
- Volunteer Spotlight (37)
- Upcoming Heart events!
- Tutor Spotlight: Jalen Gilmore
- Heart Tutoring’s New Virtual Program Featured on WBTV
- Virtual Tutoring Pilot Program
- The Importance of Growth Mindset
- June 2020 Fundraising Update
- Tutor Spotlight: Stephanie Lemons
- Educating Ourselves on Issues of Race
- Internal program evaluation indicates positive effects on students’ long-term achievement
- 2019-20 Program Results