Heart Kicks Off Volunteer Drive For 2015-16 School Year
August 3, 2015
We have officially kicked off our volunteer drive for the 2015-16 school year and we asking for the community’s support! The goal is to recruit volunteers to be tutors for 350 students by Sept. 17.
“Volunteers are Heart’s ‘heart,’ delivering critical skills and confidence to elementary students who need extra help,” said Emily Elliott, executive director of Heart Math Tutoring. “We look forward to growing our dedicated volunteer base to impact the lives of more students in our community.”
Adds Elliott, “Math does not have to be a strong subject for volunteers who all follow a structured curriculum that features hands-on activities and math games. Heart provides a fun way to build relationships with students while delivering academic skills crucial to their success.”
Heart volunteers commit to weekly tutoring sessions that last either 30 minutes or one hour and can team up with friends, family and colleagues to be “partner tutors.” A Heart staff person is on site at all times to make sure tutors have what they need. Volunteer opportunities are available at the following schools and times:
- Billingsville Leadership Academy: Monday-Thursday, 8-9 a.m.; 9:15-10:15 a.m.; 1:45-2:45 p.m.
- Highland Renaissance Academy: Monday-Thursday, 11:15 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
- Montclaire Elementary: Monday-Thursday, 7:45-8:45 a.m.; 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Piney Grove Elementary: Monday-Thursday, 8-9 a.m.; 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- Sedgefield Elementary: Monday-Thursday, 7:45-8:45 a.m.; 1:45-2:45 p.m.
- Westerly Hills Academy: Tuesday-Friday, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
- Winterfield Elementary: Monday-Thursday, 7:45-8:45 a.m.; 12:25-1:25 p.m.
- Blog (189)
- Celebrations (39)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (16)
- Events (14)
- Grants (21)
- Grants and Funding News (28)
- Heart News (148)
- Heart Staff (8)
- Math Matters (39)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (44)
- Uncategorized (22)
- Video (14)
- Volunteer Resources (33)
- Volunteer Spotlight (36)
- June 2020 Fundraising Update
- Tutor Spotlight: Stephanie Lemons
- Educating Ourselves on Issues of Race
- Internal program evaluation indicates positive effects on students’ long-term achievement
- 2019-20 Program Results
- Heart Tutoring Annual Celebration
- Heart Tutoring Staff Participates in Racial Equity Training
- Thank you, Teachers!
- Spring Volunteer Highlights – Recognizing Heart Tutors
- Fabulous Five!