Staff Spotlight: Karen Sutton, Program Coordinator at Pinewood Elementary
October 16, 2015
Karen graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte with a Bachelor of Arts in Special Education and completed graduate courses in Counseling. She is originally from Columbia, SC, and has two children.
Karen worked for several years as a Case Coordinator with Mecklenburg County, linking children and adults with developmental disabilities to needed services. She has also worked as a Program Manager of a private tutoring agency and as a tutor and Pre-K Screener with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
Before joining Heart, Karen worked as the State Outreach Director for an education advocacy non-profit. She loves to volunteer with her fellow Junior League of Charlotte members and believes that all children can learn and succeed when given the appropriate tools and support.
Check out Karen’s answers to our Spotlight questions:
What does she remember about math when she was in school?
What I remember most about learning math in school were the rules. I remember being taught the rules and shown how to use the steps to complete the math problems, but never being taught why. I simply memorized the rules.
Finish the sentence: “A strong foundation in math…”
… helps to build confidence in a child’s academic abilities and helps that child have an easier time learning more difficult math skills later on in school.
What song always makes you dance or sing along?
“Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars. The video is even better!
- Blog (204)
- Celebrations (40)
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (16)
- Events (17)
- Grants (22)
- Grants and Funding News (30)
- Heart News (154)
- Heart Staff (10)
- Math Matters (44)
- NAEP (1)
- Parent Resources (7)
- Press (45)
- Uncategorized (36)
- Video (15)
- Volunteer Resources (36)
- Volunteer Spotlight (39)
- Corporate partners’ spring funding provides tutoring for students in the 2021/22 school year at Heart Math Tutoring
- Tutor Tuesdays (Happy National Volunteer Month!)
- Tutor Spotlight – Tom Scholten
- Pi Day Recipes
- Hear from Heart Tutors
- Heart Math Tutoring receives year-end funding from Faison and Global Endowment Management Foundation
- 21-Day Racial Equity Challenge with United Way of the Central Carolinas
- Tutor Testimonials and Call for Volunteers
- Upcoming Virtual Info Session
- Heart Tutoring’s Kelsey Ripley is a Guest Writer for the Community Resilience Project’s December 2020 Newsletter