Thank you to our Volunteer Partners!
- Latest Updates for Heart Tutors
- Upcoming Heart events!
- Educating Ourselves on Issues of Race
- HeartThrob 2020
- Hear from a Heart Tutor!
- Speaker at The Charlotte Justice Conference
- An Interview with a Volunteer: Adam Schauer
- Join Us for Our Volunteer Kickoff Party!
- 2019 Math Perspectives Summer Institute: A New Resource Series!
- ‘What Is Heart Tutoring?’ Webinar
- Upcoming Heart events!
- Recruitment Season Tips
- The Tutor Referral Contest – June 1-30
- Math Madness (in March)
- 2018 NC Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference
- Seek First to Understand…
- Volunteer Recruitment Kickoff – Volunteers needed in the 2018/19 School Year!
- Volunteer Recruitment Tools
- CMS Releases “Breaking the Link” Equity Report
- Heart Math Tutoring Featured on Spectrum News for Giving Tuesday
- Heart Math Tutoring Featured on WBTV
- Tutor Recruitment Kickoff and Tools – Volunteers needed in the 2017/18 School Year!
- The Year Ahead: Community Support Enables Heart Math Tutoring To Expand Reach, Impact
- HEART Tutoring Moves To New Office
- Monthly Volunteer Notables – OCTOBER
- Monthly Volunteer Notables – NOVEMBER
- April – HEART Notables
- February – HEART NOTABLES
- 2014 Work Begins
- There’s One Key Difference Between Kids Who Excel at Math and Kids Who Don’t
- December – HEART NOTABLES
- HEART Holiday Breakfast for Parents
- November – HEART NOTABLES
- October – HEART NOTABLES
- Malleable intelligence
Welcome Heart Tutors! We are thankful for participation in Heart Tutoring this school year. This page is dedicated to you. Here you will find tutoring updates, along with optional resources that you can use both on your own and with other tutors.
Check out the latest updates in our Startup Logistics Email!
Tutor training looks different from previous years! The steps to begin tutoring are outlined below. If you aren’t sure where you are in this process or have questions along the way, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
On Your Own:
- You can refer to the monthly email for Tutor Tips!
- Check out these Student Engagement Resources
- If you would like to receive additional information and resources through our Deeper Dive newsletter, please email email@example.com to subscribe!
- Visit Heart’s Blog to read latest news!
- Read notes from the 2019 summer training with Kathy Richardson!
- Check out our Motivational Strategies for Students
- Read our Curriculum Notebook Overview
- Read Mathematical Mindsets by Jo Boaler
- Read Color and Character: West Charlotte High and the American Struggle over Educational Equality
by Pamela Grundy
Community Building with Other Tutors:
- Join us on social media via Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Join our Heart Tutoring Facebook group!
Help Spread the Word!
We are recruiting volunteers for the 2020/21 school year! Please refer volunteers who can spend one hour per week virtually tutoring an elementary student who is below grade level in math. Whether it’s by talking about your experience as a Heart Tutoring tutor with a friend, or by setting up a virtual presentation with your place of business, there are plenty of ways you can help. We’ve included email templates and anything else you might need in our recruitment kit. check out our resources below and help us spread the word to your friends and family, place of work, faith group, or other organization!
- Recruitment Kit
- Informational Flyer
- Video: Heart Tutoring Information Session
- Video: Virtual Tutoring Highlights!
“Thank you!” from last year’s teachers and school staff!
We love our volunteers! During the 2019/20 school year, over 1,300 Charlotte community members tutored across Heart Tutoring’s 23 school partners, helping students build the strong foundation in math and enthusiasm for academics needed for long-term success.
- “There are always smiles and high fives. The one-on-one lessons are extremely beneficial in building self-esteem and allow children to have lots of fun while learning.” – 3rd grade teacher at Bruns Avenue Elementary (2019/20)
- “My experience with Heart Math Tutoring has been fabulous. The students are eager to go. They love to share what they have learned when they come back to class. They build strong relationships with their tutors.” – 4th grade teacher at Huntingtowne Farms Elementary (2019/20)
- “The program and volunteers are fantastic. The one-on-one intensive math work is so helpful to our students!” – 2nd grade teacher at Greenway Park Elementary (2019/20)
- “This has been an overall positive experience for my students. They love working with their tutors and I have seen an increase in their confidence. The tutors are reliable and my students look forward to their sessions! Keep up the great work!!!” – 1st grade teacher at Myers Park Traditional School (2019/20)
- “I love how excited my kids get to see their tutors in the morning. It makes my heart happy.” – 3rd grade teacher at Montclaire Elementary (2019/20)