Heart Tutoring provides the curriculum and manages the tutors, enabling volunteers to effectively help students without creating additional work for school staff on a day-to-day basis.
Heart Tutoring recruits and supports volunteers as tutors in elementary schools, prioritizing students who may not be able to afford the cost of private tutoring. School staff recommends students who could use extra help in math. Heart Tutoring then assesses each student to determine their individual gaps in understanding. Volunteers provide instruction at each student’s level in 30-minute tutoring sessions twice per week during the school day. In addition to providing academic support, tutors act as mentors, providing encouragement that can have a positive impact on students’ confidence and enthusiasm towards academics.
Volunteers are effective within a commitment of just one hour per week because of Heart Tutoring’s curriculum and on-site support.
- CMS-approved, Common Core-based
- Internally developed, specifically for use by volunteers
- Targets foundational number sense skills needed for success in higher-level math
- Pre-assessments identify conceptual gaps of each individual student
- Post-assessments measure student growth
- Hands-on activities
- Trains and coordinates volunteers
- Communicates with school staff
- Monitors and supports student progress
Heart Tutoring operates in partnership with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS).
Designed Collaboratively with CMS:
- Heart Tutoring was formed in partnership with CMS, originating as a result of community members seeking to understand and meet the district’s needs. Heart Tutoring was piloted initially 10 years ago by volunteers, mostly members of Social Venture Partners, a local venture philanthropy organization, who saw a need for an effective way for volunteers to make a difference for students who are falling behind. The group worked in partnership with Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools and Communities in Schools to identify the curriculum and format.
- CMS curriculum specialists continue to advise Heart Tutoring on curricular resources, student selection, assessment practices, and organizational growth.
Deep presence in partner schools:
- 50 students per school, grades 1 – 5
- Quarterly reports updating teachers and families on student progress
- Family education events prior to Winter Holiday Break and Summer Break
- Resources provided to help families support student learning, including take-home kits, newsletters, and a resource bank